||The Aims of the Observatory are the following:
- Co-ordinated observation of migration flows in the Mediterranean and South-East European regions.
- Comparative analysis of the migration phenomena, as they appear in both the receiving and sending countries, including comparative research on the social, economic and political aspects of the location of immigrants and employment in the receiving countries.
- Promotion of theoretical analysis of empirical data and formulation of policy suggestions.
- Exchange of information and ideas with collaborating foreign institutions and individual researchers concerning migration phenomena.
- Establishment of a documentation centre on migration, consisting of printed material and electronic databases.
- Educational support for the University of the Aegean, especially that which is focused on the provision of educational material and student training in research programmes.